Breast cancer is the main cause of death of women, know all the important things related to this serious disease.
Breast Cancer These days our lifestyle is changing rapidly. In such a situation, due to bad habits, people become victims of many diseases. Breast cancer is one of these serious diseases that affects many women around the world. With the aim of spreading awareness about this serious disease, the month of October is celebrated every year as Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
What is breast cancer?
Types of Breast Cancer
What are the symptoms of breast cancer?
- Change in breast size and shape
- Feeling of a lump the size of a pea.
- A lump in the underarm
- Change in breast or nipple skin color
- Skin appearing dimpled, wrinkled, scaly, or swollen
- Nipples appearing red, purple, or dark in color
- Spotting or discharge from the nipple
What is the cause of breast cancer?
- Age- 55 years or more.
- Gender – Women are more likely to develop this cancer than men.
- Family history – If your parents, siblings, children or other close relatives have had breast cancer, you are at risk of getting this disease.
- Genetics – 15% of people suffering from breast cancer develop the disease because they have inherited this genetic mutation. The most common genetic mutations involve the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes.
- Smoking – Smoking or tobacco use is linked to many different types of cancer, including breast cancer.
- Alcohol – Research shows that drinking alcoholic beverages may increase the risk of breast cancer.
- Obesity- Overweight is also one of the main causes of breast cancer.
- Radiation exposure—If you have ever had radiation therapy, especially to your head, neck, or chest, you are more likely to develop breast cancer.
- Hormone replacement therapy – People who use hormone replacement therapy (HRT) have a higher risk of developing this condition.
Breast cancer prevention
How to reduce the risk of breast cancer?
- Maintain healthy weight- Obesity causes many serious problems. Breast cancer is one of these. In such a situation, it is very important to maintain a healthy weight to reduce its risk.
- Eat a healthy diet - Some studies show that a diet rich in vegetables, fruits, calcium-rich dairy products and low-fat protein can reduce the risk of breast cancer. Also, avoiding red meat and processed meat can also reduce your risk.
- Physical activity- Physical activity is also very important to stay healthy. Studies have shown that regular physical activity reduces the risk of breast cancer.
- Avoidance of alcohol etc.- Research has found a relationship between breast cancer and alcohol. In such a situation, to reduce its risk, it is important to avoid alcohol etc.
- Get regular checkups – Mammograms often detect tumors when they are too small to be felt. In such a situation, it is important to get yourself checked regularly.
- Do self-testing – Check your breasts regularly. Doing this helps maintain breast health and can help you detect breast cancer tumors.
Disclaimer: The advice and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purposes only and should not be taken as professional medical advice. If you have any questions or concerns, always consult your doctor.